Senior Lab Assistant, General Laboratory
Full Time, 80 Hours Per Pay Period, Night Shift (1:30PM - 10:00PM, Rotating Weekends)
Position Summary: An employee in this position must be able to perform at an advanced level in the following areas: collection and proper handling of venous and capillary specimens as appropriate; registration of outpatients in a timely, safe and courteous manner; registration of patients, Lab contracts, and specimens ensuring that all registration data is accurate and complete; prepares, checks for accuracy, and implements charting of Laboratory, Pathology and Imaging reports as needed. Must be able to perform duties of Lab Assistant.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new and existing employees.
- Responsible for care, maintenance, trouble-shooting and notification of the Manager when equipment is in need of repair or replacement (i.e. laser printers, line printers, fax machines, copying machines, etc.).
- Responsible for maintaining proper inventory of supplies by monitoring and ordering supplies through the Matkon system as needed.
- Responsible for the daily quality review of written physician’s orders to detect errors in test orders, diagnosis, physician’s name, insurance coverage, etc. and timely correction of errors.
- At times collects co-payments/deposits, generates receipts to the payer, and reconciles cash/credit card transactions on a daily basis.
- Is responsible for the generation, verification, submission and posting of contract billing.
- Will assist with other duties as assigned by the Laboratory Manager to include: scheduling, payroll, ordering of supplies, etc.
- Assists in the implementation and evaluation of new projects including the development of policies and procedures.
- Transcribes reference Lab results.
- Responsible for checking and follow-up of incomplete reference Lab reports.
- Local travel required.
- Follows policies, procedures, and safety standards. Completes required education assignments annually. Works toward achieving goals and objectives, and participates in quality improvement initiatives as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education: None specified; will accept any combination of formal education and/or prior work experience sufficient to demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skill and ability needed to perform the essential tasks of the job, typically such as would be equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. Preference may be given to individuals possessing a HS diploma or GED.
Minimum Experience: None.
Licensure Requirement: Employee must have a valid Tennessee driver’s license Class D and state mandated minimum insurance coverage. Driving record must meet Covenant Health minimum standards at the date of hire and throughout employment tenure.