Patient Care Assistant, Medical Intensive Care Unit
Full Time, 72 Hours Minimum Per Pay Period, Night Shift
Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center
Position Summary: Functions as a direct patient caregiver performing tasks to assist registered nurses. Performs hands-on care, assistance with ADL’s and specified technical tasks for a group of patients under the supervision of the Team Leader.
- Take and record temperature, pulse, respiration rates, blood pressures, weights, heights, and intake-output measurements.
- Encourage patients to turn, cough, and take deep breaths and to use incentive spirometry as specified by Plan of Care.
- Ambulate, and assist patients in and out of bed, into wheelchairs and transport when necessary.
- Attends to nutritional needs of patient which may include distributing meal trays, feeding, filling and passing out water pitchers,
- Provides morning or evening care, which may include bed bath, oral hygiene, combing hair, back care, dressing patient, changing bed linen, cleaning over-bed table and bedside stand, straightening room, and other supportive care as needed.
- Empty drains, canisters, urine bags, bedpans and emesis basins and record intake and output.
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment, which may include reporting equipment that is out of order, appropriate handling of linen and storing of supplies.
- Provides general care such as positioning, lifting or turning patients; assisting in use of bedpan, urinal or commode; preoperative supportive care; and application/removal of abdominal binders or anti-embolism stockings and sequential compression devices.
- Empty & clean ostomy bag, per procedure.
- Collect urine, stool and sputum specimen as ordered.
- Perform tasks such as ROM, assist with ambulatory devices as specified by the patients' plan of care.
- Perform phlebotomy (requires additional training). To include correct labeling using two patient identifiers, maintenance of lab-draw supplies, rotating and restocking.
- Perform EKG (requires special training).
- Promptly answer patient call lights and respond to patient requests.
- Report significant changes in patients' condition to RN.
- Help to maintain clean and orderly patient and work environment.
- Employ all established infection control policies including standard precautions, transmission-based isolation precautions, OSHA standards, safety measures and proper body mechanics in performance of job.
- Document/maintain patient record as appropriate.
- Gathers equipment for O2 set up. Checks O2 for connection and proper placement.
- Checks for proper functioning of equipment at patient bedside
- Ambulate patients with oxygen.
- Set up suction equipment and check for proper function.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competency in providing for age-specific needs of the population served.
- Demonstrates ability to perform skills on the Nursing Assistant checklist.
- Follows policies, procedures, and safety standards. Completes required education assignments annually. Works toward achieving goals and objectives, and participates in quality improvement initiatives as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education: None specified; will accept any combination of formal education and/or prior work experience sufficient to demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skill and ability needed to perform the essential tasks of the job, typically such as would be equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. Preference may be given to individuals possessing a HS diploma or GED.
Minimum Experience: None.
Licensure Requirement: CPR required.