Surgical Technologist - Certified, Surgery
PRN - as needed/occassional, 16 - 48 hours per bi-weekly pay period (every 2 weeks), call is required
Facilitates patient care by assisting physicians and nursing staff before, during and after surgical procedures by creating and maintaining a sterile field and providing the instruments and supplies required by the surgeons in a sterile manner according to the established plan of patient care. Competently performs with and/or without assistance the majority of assigned cases in a given service/shift; may perform difficult or complicated cases either with or without assistance.
Position Accountabilities and Performance Criteria:
1. Under supervision of RN/MD, facilitates patient care by assisting the surgeon before, during and after surgical procedures by creating and maintaining a sterile field and providing the instruments and supplies required by the surgeons in a sterile manner according to the established plan for patient care; follows unit standards and processes to deliver age-appropriate care for all patients; demonstrates accountability as an individual and team member in meeting patient/family needs; participates in identifying cost-effective measures for clinical care.
2. Plans, sets up, performs and cleans up the assigned surgical procedure as a circulator and/or as a scrub tech; demonstrates knowledge of equipment and instrumentation pertaining to case; safely operates special equipment which may be used in surgical cases (e.g. lasers, microscopes, tourniquets, endoscopes, drills, saws, etc.); maintains instrument and equipment integrity; performs room turn-over and terminal cleaning; utilizes supplies appropriately and in a cost effective manner.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of and the ability to apply the principles of asepsis in creating and maintaining the sterile field; uses proper technique when scrubbing, gowning, gloving and setting up of sterile fields; recognizes what is sterile and what is unsterile; recognizes contamination and takes proper action to correct situation; continually monitors the sterile field and surgical team to assure that sterility is maintained.
4. Assists nurse in performing sharp, spong,e and instrument counts according to policy as needed; demonstrates proper counting technique for all countables, and applies proper procedures with incorrect counts; demonstrates understanding of exceptions to counts.
5. Demonstrates proper positioning techniques; knows the proper position for cases and understands the use of proper positioning aids to protect nerves, bony prominences and to maintain circulation.
6. Follows policies, procedures, and safety standards. Completes required education assignments annually. Works toward achieving goals and objectives, and participates in quality improvement initiatives as requested.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must hold a current and active national Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification established by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
Software Powered by iCIMS