Under general direction, engineers, tests and implements complex hardware and software solutions including physical hardware provisioning, logical computing resource capacity partitioning and virtualization, multi-tiered client access, secure communications and software distribution and systems management.
Regular shift is 8-5; M-F although flexible variations are available. Occasional after hours or weekend work is required. After hours on call is required between every 4 - 6 weeks.
1. Engineers, tests, implements and designs complex AIX Unix based hardware and software solutions including physical hardware provisioning/partitioning, logical server and computing resource virtualization, multi-tiered client access, secure authentication/communications and remote software distribution and systems management.
2. Installs, maintains, tunes and designs large, complex enterprise class distributed relational database nodes, instances and clusters such as Oracle, Sybase, DB2 and others and any related operating system services, ensuring that the operating environment and database engine components are deployed and tuned for optimal availability, stability, performance and capacity management.
3. Engineers and implements and designs Storage Area Networks similar in complexity to WANs with centralized storage serving data to critical servers. Designs Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANS) within large partitioned server environments. Engineers and implements complex centralized backup and recovery solutions managing hundreds of terabytes of data using multiple tiers of storage. Engineers, implements and designs complex external data file transmission managing hundreds of data sources and targets.
4. Recognizes and troubleshoots highly complex problems with server hardware and applications software, partnering with applications staff to understand in detail, how the application interacts with server operating environment. Perform specific tuning, configuration and design for the vendor or custom application services. May perform user account administration. Resolve recurring problems, in some cases with little information including problems with variance from documented procedures requiring creative problem-solving abilities.
5. Applies awareness, technical understanding and architecture for prevention of continuously changing security threats presented by environmental or procedural factors, software bugs, viruses, worms, hackers, malicious users and data transmission in order to protect the integrity and privacy of data.
6. Develops, tests and documents procedures to be implement by Operations Analysts, User Support Analysts, Help Desk Analysts and Associate/Staff Systems Analysts. Also provides coaching, training, support and mentoring to these groups. Lead, manage and/or participate in interdisciplinary projects across IT.
7. Conducts routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers deployment and design to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines. Develops procedural and technical design changes to address any issues that may arrive from such audits.
8. Researches, evaluates and architects new technologies as appropriate to meet the needs of the business.
9. Other related duties as assigned.
BS in computer-related field or equivalent work experience required.
Minimum 3 years experience with Unix and Linux Operating Systems is preferred. Proficient in shell and/or Perl scripting and knowledge of databases and IBM Spectrum Protect is a plus.
Three (3) year of comparable systems administration experience in a large, complex environment. Requires extensive knowledge of computer operations and familiarity with shell and kernel programming. Highly skilled in several (3+) highly complex technologies. Able to lead/mentor others and manage projects. Able to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and management. Demonstrated technical problem-solving ability. Demonstrates an expert understanding of interdependencies between operating systems, databases, applications, network and storage systems.
Software Powered by iCIMS