Cardiovascular Services RN II, Heart Cath Lab
Full-time, 80 hours per pay period, Days - On call every 2nd - 3rd weekend and weekday.
Provides nursing services to Cardiac Catheterization Lab patients in accordance with established nursing standards and practices; sets-up electrical and hemodynamic transducers and amplifiers; records and obtains hemodynamic, electrical and angiographic data; assesses patient during invasive cardiac procedures and delivers therapy as required. Coordinates patient care with other health care professionals.
- Prepares patient and equipment for catheterization procedures by preparing site of entry, draping patient, arranging sterilized instruments and catheters, and calibrating and setting-up pressure transducers and tubing.
- Obtains and records hemodynamic, electrical, and angiographic data by operating hemodynamic and electrical amplifiers and digital and line fluoroscopic equipment.
- Attends to patient needs during cardiac studies.
- Develops and contributes to a plan of nursing care for the patient.
- Administers intravenous and oral medications to patients.
- Assists in the collection of arterial and venous blood samples and respiratory gases.
- Precepts/trains new employees/students in the techniques of cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology.
- Monitors patient’s vital signs during and after cardiovascular procedures.
- Participates in life-saving measures such as defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Completes nursing history if appropriate.
- Assesses learning needs of patient and family, develops and initiates teaching plan.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members.
- Clinical expertise and knowledge of unit are such that complex physician issues are resolved without oversight or supervision.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient records, reports and files.
- Responds appropriately and timely to patients, physicians and other customers needs.
- Provides 6 credit hours of in-service per year.
- Member of established active hospital or department committee or subcommittee with 75% participation in meetings.
- Functions as a role model to peers by cross-training to other departments, and serving as a resource person.
- Completes department specific checklist and any additional requirements as needed.
- Performs a variety of special projects and assignments relating to primary responsibility.
- Demonstrates competence in performing critical skills to include appropriate delivery of care according to the age specific needs of the entire life span.
- Seeks opportunity to maintain professional growth through regular attendance of inservices, seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education: None specified; however, must be sufficient to meet the standards for achievement of the below indicated license and/or certification as required by the issuing authority.
Minimum Experience: Minimum of six (6) years of professional nursing experience, including at least three (3) years of professional Cath Lab experience, and at least two (2) years of ICU/CCU experience in arrhythmia and hemodynamic monitoring of patients in an acute-care setting; knowledge of electronic monitoring devices.
Licensure Requirement: Valid RN license with State of TN; ACLS certification required.
Continuing Education: Sixteen (16) hours annual continuing education required to enhance clinical expertise. Four (4) hours of teaching in clinical specialty required. Yearly infection control, fire, safety and CPR inservices required