Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
PRN/OCC, Varied shifts
The MLT performs high complexity, routine and specialized clinical Lab tests for use in diagnosis and treatment of patients by physicians. The individual will perform only those tests that s/he has been trained and found competent in performing.
- Perform routine and high complexity tests that the individual has been trained in, and as appropriate for testing department and shift.
- Follow the Laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient results.
- Document all corrective actions taken when the test process deviates from the Laboratory’s established performance specifications. Does not report patient results until all corrective action has been taken, and test is performing as expected.
- Perform proficiency-testing samples and maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency-testing samples are tested in same manner as patient samples.
- Adhere to Laboratory’s quality control policies; document all control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed. Performs all quality control as outlined in the procedural manuals. Notify the Technical Specialist, Laboratory Manager, Laboratory Supervisor or Pathologist of out-of-control situations if problem cannot be resolved.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; either correct the problem or notify the Technical Specialist, Laboratory Supervisor or Laboratory Manager if the problem cannot be resolved.
- Assist in orientation, instruction and evaluation of students and new employees to the department.
- Prepare various reagents and supplies according to precise formulas as needed.
- Utilize the LIS in patient accessioning and resulting; monitors incomplete and collection lists.
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot Laboratory equipment and instruments, as specified.
- Check Communication boards at least weekly.
- Plan work to insure maximum productivity with minimum amount of ‘carry over’ work, while keeping overtime to a minimum. Responsible for communicating to the next shift and other appropriate staff needed information about patient samples or instrument performance.
- Act as resource person for phlebotomy if trained appropriately, including outpatients.
- Maintain and disinfect work area.
- Participate in inservices.
- Handle biohazard wastes according to policy.
- Assist in evaluation and validation of testing systems.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all patient, co-worker and business information at all times.
- Use proper judgment in releasing information; analyze situations and take appropriate actions.
- Perform any job-related duties assigned by competent authority. Help other departments as qualifications and needs permit.
- Adhere to Covenant Health policies on Integrity and Compliance issues.
Minimum Education: None specified; however, must be sufficient to meet the standards for achievement of the below indicated license and/or certification as required by the issuing authority.
Licensure requirement: Current Tennessee State License as a Medical Laboratory Technician. Certification by ASCP or NCA is preferred.